Sunday, January 07, 2007

When I bump into people I haven't seen for a few years, they often ask if I'm still playing in a band. That's a tough question to answer because I'm doing several "things" right now, but I wouldn't really call them bands. I kind of like it that way. Every time a thing gets to the point where gigs have to be played and studio time is booked, that's when it all goes pear-shaped and I have to step back. It's self-sabotage, I guess.

Now I just mess around every weekend and get frustrated when I have nothing to show for all that banging away. But when I weigh that frustration against the utter shame and deflation of playing live and under the scrutiny of bandmates in the recording studio, I reckon I've got a good thing going right now.

And I've got friends like Greg in Edmonton, who's done up a MySpace page for DCR (stands for Dead City Radio or Dead City Rodents or Dead City Roadway or Dead City Radishes), which is the nearest thing to a band I've done in the last few years. Hearing our stuff this way is a pleasantly validating experience.

So, for everyone who's asked me if I'm on MySpace, there I am. Won't you be our friend?

No comments: